Friday, September 12, 2014

Windhoek

Lest you worry that every post will wax awkwardly poetic about how amazing every place is, fear not.  As far as I can tell, Windhoek is not amazing.  The capital city of Namibia, most tourists seem to use it as a gateway to/from the more scenic parts of the country -- and because seemingly most tourists either self-drive or join an overland tour, there aren't many walking around.  I'm sure there are fun things to do if you live here or if you're visiting friends who live here.  But as a single female tourist without a car, there isn't much; I spent about 45 minutes walking around city center and saw most of the major sights.  It was a little disconcerting walking around city center when there were almost no people; the streets were blocked off during the memorial service for Aaron Mushimba.

The most notable event in Windhoek for me personally, though, was my discovery that a sizable chunk of my emergency cash has gone missing.  Ugh.  I almost can convince myself that I separated that chunk out and put it in a separate location, except I've gone through all my stuff twice now to no avail, so I suspect it's wishful thinking on my part.  It's not a huge deal; I still have enough to feel comfortable and I'm sure whoever has it now needs it more than I do.  But I'm still irritated, primarily with myself for not finding a better hiding spot.  Oh, well.

On that less than triumphant note, it's off to Zimbabwe for me.

All Namibia pictures: Swakopmund, Sosussvlei, and Windhoek.





No comments:

Post a Comment